Monday, November 12, 2012

PLEASE DISREGARD; UNINTENDED RECIPIENTS

I'm a bit of a lookyloo, so it shouldn't be a surprise that my curiosity is uncontrollably piqued when someone tries to recall an email. I thought this blog post title would help you determine if you suffer from the same curiosity. :)

In any event, today at work, I felt rewarded for that curiosity.  I'm on a few local professional listserves where members can post questions to the collective for discussion. Depending on the day and how busy I am, I don't monitor the listserve posts too closely. And, today was no different, I hadn't paid any attention to the posts until I received the email titled "FW: PLEASE DISREGARD EARLIER MESSAGE NEED TO RECALL MY MESSAGE, UNINTENDED RECIPIENTS."
The text of the email read: "PLEASE DELETE EARLIER MESSAGE AS THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT SOLELY FOR MR **** TO READ. THIS MESSAGE WAS NOT INTENDED TO BE READ BY ANY OTHER MEMBERS OF THE LISTSERV. I REALLY APOLOGIZE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE THIS MAY HAVE CAUSED ANYONE."
So, of course, I had to investigate further to figure out what had been said that warranted such an email. The first portion of the email chain was meaningless drivel about some topic of marginal interest to the group. Then, Mister "Please Disregard" responded to a message sent by an apparent acquaintance and instead of simply replying to the message, hit "reply all." My favorite parts of his "reply all" email was his admission that his career is "not a pleasurable experience at times" with the specifics being that it "feels like you are putting parts of your anatomy in a vice grip and if it is not your own client pulling down its your colleagues." Whoopsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment