Saturday, August 11, 2012

Am I Passable?

I work in a high rise that has an upscale restaurant and bar a few floors below our office. This results in a number of directionally challenged and tipsy restaurant patrons getting lost on elevators in the building and the parking garage.  A few of my work friends and I have started an unofficial ongoing contest that we call the "weird elevator story contest."
Our typical stories are people overly interested in engaging in conversation with us on the elevator; people who insist that the restaurant is on the top floor of the building; and loud drunk people practically yelling to each other in the elevator.  Some of the more unusual stories are of people with poor elevator etiquette who face the wrong way in the elevator or don't move out of the way to let people on or off the elevator.

One evening, I went out to grab dinner before coming back to work for awhile longer.  After I got on the elevator to go back up to the office, another person got on the elevator.  I didn't pay much attention to the person.  About one second after the elevator doors closed, I hear a deep man's voice ask, "Am I Passable?"  I look over for the first time and see a manly look short stout woman wearing a fitted sparkly black tank top, capri khakis, and a long blond wig.  My mind started racing, "Is he actually asking if he's passable as a woman or does he mean something else?  He must mean something else!  But, what else could it be?  If I answer that he is passable, doesn't that mean I've admitted I know he is a man?  But, if I answer no, that's not good either.  I believe this is what you would call a catch 22." I then mustered my most cheerleaderish voice and say "Oh yeah, definitely!" 

Then the elevator doors opened at the restaurant.  As he stepped out of the elevator, he looked back and said "Oh good, I haven't done this in a long time."  Again, in my most cheerleader voice, "Oh, don't worry, you look great!"  The doors close and I continue on back to work.

I was elated the next morning to share the story with my friends and officially be granted the title of winner of the weird elevator story contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment