Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Christmas Stalking

Every so often, I come up with an idea or a title for the book I'm going to write someday.  One of the ideas that gives me a big kick is a book titled "The Christmas Stalking." Or would it be "The Christmas Stocking?"  I'm not sure.

In any event, the idea doesn't have any substance behind it and it's not actually a serious idea.  I don't even know what the book would be about.  Perhaps a horror story that occurs near Christmastime and culminates on Christmas Eve in front of the fireplace mantel where the Christmas stockings are hung waiting to be filled.  Not really my type of book at all, but it still gives me a chuckle (as long as I don't pursue the idea in too much detail), mostly because of the use of the homophone that creates such incongruous concepts.

Last week, my dreams were crushed.  I learned that not everyone pronounces "stalking" like I do.  In my vocabulary the words "stalking" and "stocking" are pronounced identically and rhyme with "flocking."  But, as it turns out, many people around the country pronounce the two words differently, my Midwestern-grown husband included.  It makes sense, really that the "l" in "stalk" should be pronounced, I've just never heard anyone do so (although really, how often does the word "stalking" come up in conversation).  So I guess it's back to the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment