Saturday, July 14, 2012

Sanctioned

I sanction the use of the word "sanction."  If you're wondering what I mean, then I've proved my point.  How is it possible that we have one word to me two entirely opposite things?

The freedictionary.com says that "sanction" "can be used to describe tacit or explicit approval" or that it "can describe disagreement and condemnation" or a "punishment for a criminal offense." Typically, when a word means two different things, the use of the word in a sentence clears up any ambiguity.  For instance, we usually know when someone means "orange" the fruit instead of "orange" the color and can usually tell the difference between the words here and hear or add and ad when used in a sentence even though they are pronounced the same way.


For a word that means either "I approve" or "I disapprove."  It seems like we'd be a little more careful and not risk the potential that someone would be confused with what we meant.  Perhaps Iran isn't responding to the sanctions the United States is imposing because they think we're expressing explicit approval for their actions.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctions_against_Iran

All I know is that I wish I had known about the word sanction when I was a kid.  If only I had phrased my requests for parental permission as, "Hey Mom, will you sanction my request to....?"  Either way she answered, I could claim that I misunderstood her answer and proceeded with the requested activity.  Clearly, I missed opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment